Definition of classified in English:
1Arranged in classes or categories: a classified catalog of books
More example sentences
- Robert Teesdale, head gardener for Lord Carlisle at Castle Howard, compiled a classified catalogue of 197 rare plants in 1794.
- They admitted a ‘technical glitch’ caused two North Yorkshire towns to be missed out of the new classified section of the phone book.
- It appears that at least two classified books were used in this system.
1.1 [attributive] (Of newspaper or magazine advertisements or the pages on which these appear) organized in categories according to what is being advertised.
- He bought all the motorbike magazines and newspapers with classified ads and invited private sellers to display their bikes in his shops.
- Pointing out that the newspaper carries 4,000 classified advertisements every day, he said the massage section was probably the smallest part.
- Take along your unwanted goods and sell them for instant cash, which beats selling via the classified adverts in newspapers, car boot sales or over the Internet.
1.2(Of information or documents) designated as officially secret and to which only authorized people may have access: classified information on nuclear experiments
More example sentences
- It is very serious if they were collecting and disseminating cheap political dirt from a classified document labeled ‘secret.’
- Think about a powerful government official leaking sensitive classified information to the press solely to discredit a critic of the government's policy.
- I should mention here that merely having a certain level of Security Clearance does not mean one is authorized to view classified information.
noun(classifieds) Back to top
Small advertisements placed in a newspaper and organized in categories.
- Here's an example: The general merchandise categories of newspaper classifieds are among the most threatened.
- Such tickets used to be advertised regularly in newspaper classifieds.
- Nonrefundable tickets used to be regularly advertised in the newspaper classifieds.
Definition of classified in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia