- A small fish, especially a striped wrasse, that is permitted to remove parasites from the skin, gills, and mouth of larger fishes, to their mutual benefit.
More example sentences
- Genus Labroides, family Labridae: several species, in particular L. dimidiatus
- At fish-cleaning stations, cleaner fish nibble the parasites from the gills and mouths of fishes much larger than they are.
- Closer to the reef, divers will be attracted by the hive of activity - wrasses, damselfish, butterflyfish and cleaner fish dart about foraging for food among the hard corals.
- The larger fish not only refrain from devouring these small cleaner fish, but actually readily open their mouth and gill cavities so that they are able to clean.
More definitions of cleaner fishDefinition of cleaner fish in:
- The British & World English dictionary