(also clearing house
, abbreviation: c.h. or C.H.)
- 1A bankers' establishment where checks and bills from member banks are exchanged, so that only the balances need be paid in cash.More example sentences
- It simply remits the cheque to the drawee bank through the clearing house, and transmits an advice of the receipt of the cheque to the collecting bank.
- The clearing house for banks and building societies had planned to introduce an industry-wide scheme.
- It has been busy with the task of improving their financial markets, starting with the demutualisation and merger of their two exchanges and their three clearing houses in March 2000.
- 1.1An agency or organization that collects and distributes something, especially information.More example sentences
- A seven million dollar system designed to help fight crime by acting as a clearing house for information held by the judiciary and law enforcement agencies is being developed, with the hope of implementing it at the end of next year.
- The organization maintains an online database that serves as a clearing house of information for the global peatland-conservation community.
- We're using NATO as a clearing house for information for individual countries.
More definitions of clearinghouseDefinition of clearinghouse in:
- The British & World English dictionary