Definition of cleavage in English:
1A sharp division; a split: a system dominated by the class cleavage
More example sentences
- There was not this sharp consciousness of the cleavages and different realities in our social existence long ago as that which is so evident today.
- To existing social splits were added inter-working class cleavages which were all too apparent by November 1916.
- It is a function of that same openness that no sharp cleavages can be sighted between the traditional and the modern in India.
1.1The hollow between a woman’s breasts when supported, especially as exposed by a low-cut garment.
- Her top was extremely low cut with her cleavage barely staying in.
- Carrie was wearing a denim skirt and another v-neck that exposed her cleavage.
- It can be large or small, with a pronounced cleavage or with the breasts entirely separated.
1.2 Biology Cell division, especially of a fertilized egg cell.
- The cells deriving from cleavage divisions are often called blastomeres.
- The transparent, 100-m-diameter oocyte is fertilized and undergoes rapid mitotic cleavage cycles.
- For a successful division to take place the cell has to determine the location, where to separate, and the point of time to start cell cleavage.
1.3The splitting of rocks or crystals in a preferred plane or direction.
- Where possible, flawed sections are removed and larger crystals cut into smaller pieces with minimal wastage by splitting the crystal along natural cleavage planes.
- Diamonds have cleavage planes in four directions, making them highly susceptible to shattering when struck by a hard blow.
- Thus, the crystals have cleavage planes for the necessary migration aptitude.
Definition of cleavage in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan