Definition of cleistogamy in English:
Self-fertilization that occurs within a permanently closed flower.
- Sporobolus is mostly self-pollinated due to a high degree of sheath cleistogamy, while Panicum is a self-incompatible outbreeder.
- F 1 plants had chasmogamous flowers, indicating that chasmogamy was dominant to cleistogamy.
- The majority of grasses in which cleistogamy occurs have both chasmogamous flowers and either one or two types of cleistogamous flowers.
late 19th century: from Greek kleistos 'closed' + -gamy (from gamos 'marriage').
- Example sentences
- Flowering plants had a mean of 9.5 inflorescences on 70 mostly cleistogamous spikelets.
- We almost walked by the minute yellow flowers of Utricularia subulata, surprisingly still in bloom, and saw many more plants with cleistogamous flowers.
- In addition, 62% of the flowers on these plants were cleistogamous indicating a high level of self-pollination.
Definition of cleistogamy in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan