- A climbing plant of the buttercup family that bears white, pink, or purple flowers and feathery seeds. Several kinds are cultivated as ornamentals.
More example sentences
- Genus Clematis, family Ranunculaceae
- Of note is the purple clematis which climbs up the wall.
- Clematis alpina is usually among the earliest clematis to bloom in the spring.
- Plant climbing flowers like morning glories or clematis at the foot of the arch.
Latin (also denoting the periwinkle), from Greek klēmatis, from klēma 'vine branch'.
More definitions of clematisDefinition of clematis in:
- The British & World English dictionary