Definition of clientelism in English:
A social order that depends upon relations of patronage; in particular, a political approach that emphasizes or exploits such relations.
- The country still suffers from extensive clientelism, patronage, and corruption in anything the government does.
- Novel aspects of state society relations such as clientelism and patrimonialism were opened up to inquiry.
- Extended kinship relations may create clientelism and protectionism as well as organized crime.
- Example sentences
- Elections were controlled through a clientelistic system based on the influence of landowners who thus wielded considerable power.
- Fascism thus laid the foundation for the post-war creation of a sectional and clientelistic system of welfare.
- The two majority parties have a long tradition of populist politics and they are quite prone to create clientelistic relations.
1970s: from Italian clientelismo 'patronage system'.
Definition of clientelism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.