Definition of clientelism in English:
A social order that depends upon relations of patronage; in particular, a political approach that emphasizes or exploits such relations.
- The country still suffers from extensive clientelism, patronage, and corruption in anything the government does.
- Novel aspects of state society relations such as clientelism and patrimonialism were opened up to inquiry.
- Extended kinship relations may create clientelism and protectionism as well as organized crime.
1970s: from Italian clientelismo 'patronage system'.
- Example sentences
- Elections were controlled through a clientelistic system based on the influence of landowners who thus wielded considerable power.
- Fascism thus laid the foundation for the post-war creation of a sectional and clientelistic system of welfare.
- The two majority parties have a long tradition of populist politics and they are quite prone to create clientelistic relations.
Definition of clientelism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan