Definition of climactic in English:
- She appeared in more than a few slasher movies, always the young heroine who outsmarts the killer in a climactic final chase scene.
- And the final climactic emotional moment is cringe inducing rather than searingly moving.
- The World Cup is one coherent drama with developing conflict, mounting tension and a climactic resolution.
Climactic and climatic are very similar in spelling and are often confused. Climactic means ‘forming a climax,’ as in the movie’s climactic scene, while climatic means ‘relating to climate,’ as in prevailing climatic conditions.
- Example sentences
- When they converge in the middle to symbolise the cross, mood changes from meditative to climactically vehement.
- Here the scale and repeated notes from bar 4 climactically return.
- But not so in opera, where legato in a favourite aria can still an audience and then climactically bring it to its feet over the full spectrum of human emotions.
Words that rhyme with climacticanaphylactic, ataractic, autodidactic, chiropractic, didactic, galactic, lactic, prophylactic, syntactic, tactic
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.