Definition of close encounter in English:
A supposed encounter with a UFO or with aliens.
- The book is full of local flavour and includes stories of ghosts, witchcraft and mermaids, close encounters, poltergeists and alien big cats.
- Will there be close encounters of the alien kind?
- I live in the mid-west and have had a few occurrences of the paranormal nature in the past few years, never really experienced them before in my life and have been seeking someone to enlighten me on these close encounters.
- close encounter of the first (or second etc.) kind
- Used to describe encounters involving increasing degrees of complexity and apparent exposure of the witness to aliens, with the first kind being a mere sighting and the fourth kind being abduction.Example sentences
- I'm trying my best to keep a serious face while John goes on about his close encounters of the third kind.
- A year later, after spending countless hours trying to bond with his father, he has a close encounter of the third kind.
- Many people think that this equation actually proves the existence of extraterrestrial intelligence and some even believe that a close encounter of the third kind could be just around the corner.
Definition of close encounter in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.