Definition of clotbur in English:
1A herbaceous plant of the daisy family, with burred fruits. It originated in tropical America but is now cosmopolitan. See also cocklebur.
- Genus Xanthium, family Compositae: two or three species, in particular spiny clotbur (X. spinosum)
- Beach clotbur has rough, sandpapery, triangular leaves and sharp burry fruits.
- Spiny clotbur has upright growth habit, long shiny dark green leaves, cactuslike spines and seeds like cocklebur (which it is related to).
- A green stripe of broad clotbur (Xanthium strumarium, or lachid hanehalim in Hebrew), a plant that grows in habitats in which there are seasonal water pools, attested that the leaks are a routine matter here.
1.1chiefly North American A burdock.
Mid 16th century: from dialect clote 'burdock' + burr.
Definition of clotbur in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.