Definition of clotbur in English:
1A herbaceous plant of the daisy family, with burred fruits. It originated in tropical America but is now cosmopolitan. See also cocklebur.
- Genus Xanthium, family Compositae: two or three species, in particular spiny clotbur (X. spinosum)
- Beach clotbur has rough, sandpapery, triangular leaves and sharp burry fruits.
- Spiny clotbur has upright growth habit, long shiny dark green leaves, cactuslike spines and seeds like cocklebur (which it is related to).
- A green stripe of broad clotbur (Xanthium strumarium, or lachid hanehalim in Hebrew), a plant that grows in habitats in which there are seasonal water pools, attested that the leaks are a routine matter here.
1.1chiefly North American A burdock.
Mid 16th century: from dialect clote 'burdock' + burr.
Definition of clotbur in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan