Definition of clothes horse in English:
1A frame on which washed clothes are hung to air indoors.
- When the neighbours moved out, suddenly the non-carpeted bits of the floor were cold, and stuff hung on the clothes horses took twice as long to dry.
- Is she wishing she'd done her laundry earlier, cursing the weather that meant all her regular clothes are still damp and hanging on the clothes horse in her front porch?
- Still the step ladder (which, rather embarrassingly, my husband was using as a clothes horse for suit jackets) was retrieved.
1.1 informal , often derogatory A person, typically a woman, who is excessively concerned with wearing fashionable clothes.
- Models began to be promoted as something more than mere clothes horses.
- With that qualifier, I certainly don't think it is necessary or desirable to be as thin as many of these breastless, boyish looking women being clothes horses on the TV ‘fashion file ‘show.’
- The man has become a fashion clothes horse, and the reference to Narcissus has been passed around among my friends.
Words that rhyme with clothes horseshire horse
Definition of clothes horse in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan