noun (plural same or clownfishes)
A small, tropical marine fish with bold vertical stripes or other bright coloration. It lives in close association with anemones and is protected from their stings by mucus. Also called anemone fish.
- Genera Amphiprion and Premnas, family Pomacentridae: several species, including A. percula
More example sentences
- The mystery behind the clownfish and sea anemone relationship is how the clownfish avoids being stung and killed by its host anemone.
- So, the protection of the anemone afforded by the clownfish is part of the mutual relationship.
- Among the damaged coral we saw free-swimming moray eels, octopuses, and several anemones with their resident clownfish.
Definition of clownfish in:
- The British & World English dictionary