noun (plural clypei /ˈklipēˌī/ /-ēˌē/)Entomology
A broad plate at the front of an insect’s head.
- Although the clypeus and labrum of Reboursia exhibit a sphaeromatoid shape, it has a broad separation between the antennular basal articles.
- Their monophyly is undisputed, given the five elongate, stiff mouthpart elements forming a distinctive beak, and an enlarged clypeus.
- Antennae are placed midway between clypeus midpoint and lateral margin of head, projecting laterally along anterior margin of head.
- Example sentences
- This genus is easily recognized by its sharply notched clypeal margin and the unique dorsellum.
- It can be identified by its brown to black color, well-developed petiolar process, and no median clypeal tooth.
- Above the clypeal arch are two lateral clusters of strong basiconic sensillae, but no definite antennary rudiments are to be seen.
Mid 19th century: from Latin, literally 'round shield'.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of clypeus in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.