Definition of clypeus in English:
noun (plural clypei /ˈklipēˌī, -ēˌē/)Entomology
A broad plate at the front of an insect’s head.
- Although the clypeus and labrum of Reboursia exhibit a sphaeromatoid shape, it has a broad separation between the antennular basal articles.
- Their monophyly is undisputed, given the five elongate, stiff mouthpart elements forming a distinctive beak, and an enlarged clypeus.
- Antennae are placed midway between clypeus midpoint and lateral margin of head, projecting laterally along anterior margin of head.
mid 19th century: from Latin, literally 'round shield'.
- Example sentences
- This genus is easily recognized by its sharply notched clypeal margin and the unique dorsellum.
- It can be identified by its brown to black color, well-developed petiolar process, and no median clypeal tooth.
- Above the clypeal arch are two lateral clusters of strong basiconic sensillae, but no definite antennary rudiments are to be seen.
Definition of clypeus in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia