Definition of coarse-grained in English:
1Coarse in texture or grain: a coarse-grained flour
More example sentences
- The soup was outstanding - rich, thick, with a lovely, coarse-grained texture and a flavour of tomatoes overlain with a hint of what seemed like orange or carrot.
- One learns to look along the perimeters of fossil woodpiles, where the sediments still demonstrate the appropriate coarse-grained textures.
- Ordinary coarse-grained metals deform when parts of a grain slip past one another as extra planes of atoms, called dislocations, move through the material.
1.1(Of photographic film) having a noticeably grainy appearance.
- When miniature cameras first appeared, Rodinal fell out of favor because the early 35 mm films were very coarse-grained.
- Since it was produced for television, Scenes from a Marriage was shot on 16 mm, and the DVD transfer has the coarse-grained look inherent in the small film stock.
1.2Coarse in manner or speech: a coarse-grained man
Definition of coarse-grained in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.