Definition of coarse-grained in English:
1Coarse in texture or grain: a coarse-grained flour
More example sentences
- The soup was outstanding - rich, thick, with a lovely, coarse-grained texture and a flavour of tomatoes overlain with a hint of what seemed like orange or carrot.
- One learns to look along the perimeters of fossil woodpiles, where the sediments still demonstrate the appropriate coarse-grained textures.
- Ordinary coarse-grained metals deform when parts of a grain slip past one another as extra planes of atoms, called dislocations, move through the material.
1.1(Of photographic film) having a noticeably grainy appearance.
- When miniature cameras first appeared, Rodinal fell out of favor because the early 35 mm films were very coarse-grained.
- Since it was produced for television, Scenes from a Marriage was shot on 16 mm, and the DVD transfer has the coarse-grained look inherent in the small film stock.
Definition of coarse-grained in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan