Definition of coast guard in English:
1A branch of the US armed forces, under the Department of Transportation since 1967, responsible for the enforcement of maritime law and for the protection of life and property at sea. In time of war, or at the direction of the president, the Coast Guard serves as part of the US Navy.
- The Marine Corps and Coast Guard have joined with the Navy to form the United Services Military Apprenticeship Program.
- Personnel from the Air Force, Army, Navy, Marines and Coast Guard were involved.
- The Navy and Coast Guard are patrolling Boston Harbor.
1.1 (the coastguard) A civilian or volunteer organization keeping watch on the sea near a coast in order to assist people or ships in danger and to prevent smuggling.
- The crew's lack of English added to the difficulties to the rescue and an interpreter was brought in at Stornoway coastguard station to assist.
- Two men said to have a ‘history of hijacking’ were arrested when the coastguard boarded a cruise ship 20 miles off Miami.
- It is unclear how the man got into the water but the coastguard were alerted by Essex Police, who had been called by members of the public.
1.2A member of a federal or civilian coast guard organization.
- Crew members contacted Shetland coastguards to alert them and the trawler's sister vessel, the MFV Falcon was called to assist.
- No, it's the fishermen, seamen, coastguards and the like, those trained to scan the surface of the water, who spot these peculiar apparitions.
- However, there was an oil slick, life rings and life rafts visible when coastguards reached the site.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.