Definition of cocked hat in English:
1A brimless triangular hat pointed at the front, back, and top.
- The cloth cap replaced the cocked hat for duty in 1841, displaying the current device by 1883 and the gold-embroidered visor in 1897.
- They dress in brocade costumes with cocked hats and swords, and they're known as The Immortals.
- When he got closer, he saw with a shock that two were dressed in 17th century clothes, with velvet coats, cocked hats, boots, pistols and swords.
knock something into a cocked hat
- Utterly defeat or outdo something.Example sentences
- Well, the local medical practice have just managed to knock that malarkey into a cocked hat, believe me.
- Several of you have written in saying that other countries can not only match England's tally, they can knock it into a cocked hat.
- He knocks all those criteria firmly into a cocked hat.
Definition of cocked hat in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan