Definition of cockfighting in English:
The sport (illegal in certain countries) of setting two cocks to fight each other. Fighting cocks often have had their legs fitted with metal spurs.
- Like circuses, cockfighting, and greyhound racing, frog jumping promotes the message that animals exist purely to entertain us.
- It appears morally equivalent to blood sports such as bearbaiting and cockfighting that have been illegal for some two centuries.
- Despite being illegal in Ireland, the blood sport of cockfighting still takes place in some parts of the country.
- Example sentences
- There is a whole lot more going on at these cockfights than just the cockfighting, although that in itself is bad enough.
- You can legally own a gamecock in 18 states and visit a cockfight as a spectator in nine.
- This festival combines church ceremonies with horse racing, bullfights, cockfights, and a spirited carnival.
Definition of cockfighting in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.