Definition of cockfighting in English:
The sport (illegal in certain countries) of setting two cocks to fight each other. Fighting cocks often have had their legs fitted with metal spurs.
- Like circuses, cockfighting, and greyhound racing, frog jumping promotes the message that animals exist purely to entertain us.
- It appears morally equivalent to blood sports such as bearbaiting and cockfighting that have been illegal for some two centuries.
- Despite being illegal in Ireland, the blood sport of cockfighting still takes place in some parts of the country.
- Example sentences
- There is a whole lot more going on at these cockfights than just the cockfighting, although that in itself is bad enough.
- You can legally own a gamecock in 18 states and visit a cockfight as a spectator in nine.
- This festival combines church ceremonies with horse racing, bullfights, cockfights, and a spirited carnival.
Definition of cockfighting in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan