1An edible, burrowing bivalve mollusk with a strong ribbed shell.
- Genus Cardium, family Cardiidae
More example sentences
- Naturally I look for something a little different such as Pepperami, garlic sausage meat, strong smelling cheeses, cockles or mussels.
- Shellfish such as oysters, mussels, cockles, winkles, whelks and crabs were collected for food from the estuaries and sea shores.
- While Brits eat turkey at Christmas, Spaniards look forward to festive feasts of clams, crabs, cockles, mussels, octopus and goose barnacles.
warm the cockles of one's heart
- Give one a comforting feeling of pleasure or contentment.More example sentences
- Ah, it warms the cockles of your heart, doesn't it?
- But it would be stretching credibility to suggest much of this game warmed the cockles of your heart.
- The sixth race produced a contest to warm the cockles of your heart.