- 1The crest or comb of a domestic cock.More example sentences
- This pie would be one containing especially fine titbits such as cockscombs and sweetbreads.
- The museum owns two masks, which are similar to the present example; they are adorned with a cockscomb and horns but no chameleons.
- Joe - black skullcap, five red spikes sprouting like a deranged cockscomb from ear to ear - had spent the night at Sam's house.
- 2A tropical plant with a crest or plume of tiny yellow, orange, or red flowers, widely cultivated as a garden annual or a houseplant.
More example sentences
- Celosia cristata, family Amaranthaceae
- Flower stands are jam-packed with summer's best bouquets: dahlias, daisies, cockscombs and especially lilies of all sorts in mouth-watering colors.
- Covered in dried flowers - such as cockscomb, bells of Ireland, and gomphrena - these wreaths pack visual punch on the front door or over the mantel.
- Plant hot weather annuals such as cockscomb, Madagascar periwinkle, portulaca, and annual salvias.
- 3An orchid related to the coralroots but with more colorful flowers, native to southern North America. Also called coralroot.
- Genus Hexalectris, family Orchidaceae
More definitions of cockscombDefinition of cockscomb in:
- The British & World English dictionary