Definition of coco de mer in English:
1A tall palm tree that is native to the Seychelles and has an immense, seaborne nut in a hard, woody shell, which is the largest known seed.
- Lodoicea maldivica, family Palmae
- The so-called coco de mer, or ‘double coconut’, is not a true coconut, and is described separately.
- As we weave among almond trees and coco de mers, our driver tells us that some guests never leave their cottages.
- The huge seed of the coco de mer is unique to the Seychelles islands in the western Indian Ocean.
early 19th century: from French coco-de-mer, literally 'coco from the sea' (because the tree was first known from nuts found floating in the sea).
Definition of coco de mer in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan