- 1A tall palm tree that is native to the Seychelles and has an immense, seaborne nut in a hard, woody shell, which is the largest known seed.
More example sentences
- Lodoicea maldivica, family Palmae
- The so-called coco de mer, or ‘double coconut’, is not a true coconut, and is described separately.
- As we weave among almond trees and coco de mers, our driver tells us that some guests never leave their cottages.
- The huge seed of the coco de mer is unique to the Seychelles islands in the western Indian Ocean.
- 1.1The large nut of the coco de mer.More example sentences
- She says that she recognised the spiritual and sexual significance of the coco de mer nut, which is seen as a potent and particularly feminine symbol of fertility.
early 19th century: from French coco-de-mer, literally 'coco from the sea' (because the tree was first known from nuts found floating in the sea).
More definitions of coco de merDefinition of coco de mer in:
- The British & World English dictionary