Definition of cocoa in English:
1A chocolate powder made from roasted and ground cacao seeds.
- To make the pastry, sift together the flour, cocoa, salt and icing sugar.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour, cocoa and salt and stir into chocolate mixture until well blended.
1.1A hot drink made from cocoa powder mixed with sugar and milk or water.
- Sophia bought two hot cocoas from the school cafeteria and the two of them drank them vigorously.
- I swore off ever drinking alcohol, and I prefer drinking tea and cocoa to drinking coffee.
- He stood at a nearby table, selling coffee, tea, cocoa and chocolate bars for a church fund-raiser.
early 18th century (denoting cacao seed): alteration of cacao.