1The large, oval, brown seed of a tropical palm, consisting of a hard shell lined with edible white flesh and containing a clear liquid. It grows inside a woody husk, surrounded by fiber.
- Handicrafts made of screw pine, banana fibre, palm leaf fibre, coconut husk, bamboo and white wood are among other things on display.
- These layers surround the hard dark-brown shell, encasing the coconut seed.
- The fruit of the coconut tree includes the buoyant husk surrounding the coconut, which helps the seeds float downstream and spread the tree's offspring far and wide.
1.1The flesh of a coconut, especially when used as food.
- In a mixing bowl add the flour, sugar, coconut, honey and juice.
- The strawberry curry and coconut soup scores points by using fruit to control the fire that a curry can sometimes spark.
- Save room for the warm chocolate pudding with coconut panda ice cream.
2 (also coconut palm or tree) The tall palm tree that yields the coconut, which grows mainly by coastal beaches and has become naturalized throughout the tropics. Many tropical economies are dependent upon its products, which include copra and coir.
- Cocos nucifera, family Palmae
- Can you tell me how to grow a coconut palm tree from the fruit?
- Recent legislation has prevented tourist exploitation of this tropical paradise and no buildings taller than a coconut palm will in future receive planning permission.
- I lay in the bed with my eyes still closed but my mind was awake listening to the sound of the breeze blowing through the leaves of the coconut tree near my room window.
Definition of coconut in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.