Entry from British & World English dictionary
Definition of codicology in English:
The study of manuscripts and their interrelationships.
- A fairly brief introduction provides a basic description of the manuscript, concentrating on its codicology and production.
- Hebrew handwritten books may indeed serve as a useful means for devising a comparative codicology and paleography.
- Students taking this subject will study textual criticism; the elements of codicology and paleography; and examples of the major European bookhands in the Middle Ages.
- Example sentences
- Paleographic and codicological evidence reveals that the original text of the martyrology was written in Spain in the mid-twelfth century.
- The present paper presents the type of transcription and the textual and codicological encoding on the source level, but first it gives an introduction to the encoded books.
- He can also look for codicological details in the descriptions or in the index.
1950s: from French codicologie, from Latin codex, codic- (see codex).
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.