(also codlin moth)
Definition of codling moth in English:
A small, grayish moth whose larva feeds on apples.
- Cydia pomonella, family Tortricidae
- Such homegrown traps usually target adult fruit moths such as the codling moth.
- The light-pink worm, or larva, of the codling moth and the white worm of the oriental fruit moth hungrily feed on fruit.
- To fight the codling moth, the pesticide is sprayed on some 73 percent of apple orchards in the country.
late Middle English: codling from Anglo-Norman French quer de lion 'lionheart'.
Definition of codling moth in:
- British & World English dictionary