(also coelurosaurus /siˌlo͝orəˈsôrəs, sē-/)
Definition of coelurosaur in English:
A small, slender, bipedal, carnivorous dinosaur with long forelimbs, from which the birds are believed to have evolved.
- Recent studies have agreed that T. rex and the tyrannosaurs belong with the coelurosaurs, not with the carnosaurs as was originally believed.
- Predatory dinosaurs of the Jurassic included fearsome carnosaurs such as Allosaurus, small, fast coelurosaurs, and ceratosaurs such as Dilophosaurus.
- Around the same time the allosaurs appeared, another subgroup of the tetanurans, the coelurosaurs, also branched off.
1950s: from Greek koilos 'hollow' + oura 'tail' + sauros 'lizard'.
- Example sentences
- The discovery of coelurosaurian dinosaurs with remnants of several kinds of integumentary structures, including feathers, has revolutionized our thinking about the origin of feathers.
- He proposed that ratites and small coelurosaurian dinosaurs shared a common ancestor, and that the ancestors of ratites never acquired flight.
- Some archosaurs, such as birds and coelurosaurian dinosaurs also developed large brains, indicating a higher level of intelligence.
Definition of coelurosaur in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India