Definition of coffin in English:
1A long, narrow box, typically of wood, in which a corpse is buried or cremated.
- Dead persons are buried in coffins on the grounds of a church or are cremated and have their ashes buried in the graveyard.
- You may still find dead people being buried without coffins, simply because relatives cannot afford to buy one.
- Sofia took the bodies of her daughters, placed them in a coffin and buried them outside of town.
1.1 informal An old and unsafe aircraft or vessel.
- This has been custom for as long as anyone who has ever lived upon this coffin of a ship can remember.
- The increased use of aeroplanes in warfare led to such terms as Beauey, biscuit bomber, and flying coffin.
- Protestors call the country's airplanes flying coffins.
verb (coffins, coffining, coffined)[with object] Back to top
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan