Definition of cohosh in English:
Either of two medicinal plants native to North America.
- ● (also black cohosh) A plant of the buttercup family, with small white flowers (Cimicifuga racemosa, family Ranunculaceae). ● (also blue cohosh) A plant of the barberry family (Caulophyllum thalictroides, family Berberidaceae).
- Some of the herbs that are listed as ingredients include damiana, chaste tree, black cohosh and saw palmetto.
- Black cohosh should not be confused with the blue cohosh herb (also known as Caulophyllum thalictroides), which is used for different indications and has a greater potential for toxicity.
- Research on natural hormone-like phytoestrogenic compounds - isoflavones - that are found in soy, red clover, black cohosh, etc., suggests that these ‘plant hormones’ can slow bone loss.
Late 18th century: from Eastern Abnaki.
Words that rhyme with cohoshawash, Bosch, bosh, brioche, cloche, cosh, dosh, Foch, galosh, gosh, josh, mosh, nosh, posh, quash, slosh, splosh, squash, swash, tosh, wash
Definition of cohosh in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan