- (Of a passage of music for a bowed instrument) played by hitting the strings with the back of the bow.More example sentences
- ‘Jovial Jig’: using the same basic material as ‘Fairy Frolics’, the finale is a compendium of colour effects - snap pizzicato, col legno, sul ponticello, guitar-like strumming.
- I took the strings to their extremes, using lots of pizzicato and col legno [in which the wood of the bow is used to create a harsh sound].
- The attack (the initial transient) is not so rapid as in col legno, because the bow hair is softer than the wood.
Italian, 'with the wood (of the bow)'.
More definitions of col legnoDefinition of col legno in:
- The British & World English dictionary