nounchiefly • archaic
- A brassica, especially cabbage, kale, or rape.More example sentences
- The only vegetables to avoid are any of the cole crops, such as cabbage, mustard or broccoli.
- Start and end the gardening season with cold-hardy vegetables that tolerate frost, such as peas, lettuce, cole crops, beets, and chard.
- In general, you can fertilize transplanted vegetables (tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, head lettuce, and cole crops) and corn about 3 to 4 weeks after planting.
Old English cāwel, caul, related to Dutch kool and German Kohl, from Latin caulis 'stem, cabbage'; reinforced in Middle English by forms from Old Norse kál. Compare with kale.
More definitions of coleDefinition of cole in:
- The British & World English dictionary