Definition of collared dove in English:
An Old World dove related to the ringed turtle dove, with buff, gray, or brown plumage and a narrow black band around the back of the neck.
- Genus Streptopelia, family Columbidae: several species, in particular the sandy gray S. decaocto, which originated in Asia, and has recently been found breeding widely in southeastern Florida
- We also saw collared doves, wood pigeons, barn swallows and a red-wattled plover.
- It showed that collared doves and wood pigeons are now five times more common in gardens nationwide than in 1979.
- Some species of pigeons and doves have expanded their ranges and increased their population sizes as a result of human activities (for example, ‘rock doves Columba livia’ and ‘Eurasian collared doves Streptopelia decaocto’).
Definition of collared dove in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.