Definition of collared dove in English:
An Old World dove related to the ringed turtle dove, with buff, gray, or brown plumage and a narrow black band around the back of the neck.
- Genus Streptopelia, family Columbidae: several species, in particular the sandy gray S. decaocto, which originated in Asia, and has recently been found breeding widely in southeastern Florida
- We also saw collared doves, wood pigeons, barn swallows and a red-wattled plover.
- It showed that collared doves and wood pigeons are now five times more common in gardens nationwide than in 1979.
- Some species of pigeons and doves have expanded their ranges and increased their population sizes as a result of human activities (for example, ‘rock doves Columba livia’ and ‘Eurasian collared doves Streptopelia decaocto’).
Definition of collared dove in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan