noun (plural colliculi /-ˌlī, -ˌlē/)Anatomy
- A small protuberance, especially one of two pairs in the roof of the midbrain, involved respectively in vision and hearing.More example sentences
- The posterior thalamic or pulvinar nuclei project backwards over the superior colliculi of the midbrain.
- Normally it extends caudally over the superior colliculi of the midbrain.
- Each sensory input is distributed across the superior colliculus to form a neural ‘map’ in a particular layer of the nucleus.
- More example sentences
- However, some collicular neurons are known to exhibit ipsilateral inhibitory regions.
- Cerebellotectal pathways in the macaque: Implications for collicular generation of saccades.
- The responses of Müller cells were stronger following intraocular injections of collicular proteoglycan than as a result of the Wallerian degeneration of 80% of retinal ganglion cells.
mid 19th century: from Latin, diminutive of collis 'hill'.
More definitions of colliculusDefinition of colliculus in:
- The British & World English dictionary