Definition of collimator in English:
1A device for producing a parallel beam of rays or radiation.
- The exit beam passes through a collimator and then through the Rochon prism, which is mounted such that the linearly polarized sample beam can be rotated to the proper orientation for either S or P reflection measurements.
- Various stereotactic radiosurgical techniques, including the proton beam, gamma knife, linear accelerator X-knife and multileaf collimators with intensity modulators, are becoming more widely available.
- The region was washed with a 70% solution of isopropyl alcohol, and the K-XRF beam collimator was sited perpendicular to the bone surface.
1.1A small fixed telescope used for adjusting the line of sight of an astronomical telescope.
- The optical head has two collimators, each 33 cm long: the sun collimator (without lens) and the sky collimator (with lenses).
- Using a low energy collimator, images are obtained every 1-2 minutes for 20 minutes.
- As with standard scopes, this one is best boresighted with a collimator.
Definition of collimator in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan