noun (plural colloquiums or colloquia /-kwēə/)
- An academic conference or seminar.More example sentences
- The abundance of conferences, symposia, workshops, colloquia, seminars, and other gatherings devoted to mathematical topics attests to a strong desire for interaction.
- Personally I will use the computer if I'm giving a colloquium or conference talk, and prefer the blackboard if I'm giving a more specialized seminar.
- Burton said, ‘There will be a lot of undergraduate and graduate students who will benefit by attending the seminars and colloquia.’
late 16th century (denoting a conversation or dialogue): from Latin, from colloqui 'to converse', from col- 'together' + loqui 'to talk'.
More definitions of colloquiumDefinition of colloquium in:
- The British & World English dictionary