Definition of collyrium in English:
noun (plural collyria-ēə)
1A medicated eyewash.
- Pliny says, in so many words, that the cerates and cataplasms, plasters, collyria, and antidotes, so abundant in his time, as in more recent days, were mere tricks to make money.
- The invention further relates to suitable pharmaceutical compositions and particularly a collyrium.
- A preferred collyrium contains 0.05% by weight of mequitazine and 1% by weight of hydroxypropyl-.beta.-cyclodextrin.
1.1A kind of dark eyeshadow, used especially in Eastern countries.
- Who spoiled the painting on your breast and the collyrium of your eye?
- The beloved's collyrium is made, however, from the ‘smoke of the flame of a voice’.
- The name Anjan Shalaka is given to the ceremony of decorating the eyes of new images of Jins with collyrium made of many special substances, using in the process a gold-stick.
Definition of collyrium in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan