Definition of colobine in English:
An Old World monkey of a mainly leaf-eating group that includes the colobus monkeys, langurs, and leaf monkeys.
- Subfamily Colobinae, family Cercopithecidae
- Among Asian colobines are Borneo's proboscis monkey, the Chinese snub-nosed monkeys and langurs, such as the douc of South-east Asia.
- There were five primate lineages studied here: hominoids, colobines, cercopithecines, platyrrhines (New World monkeys), and lemurs.
- The RNase1 gene was duplicated twice in ancestral ruminants at least 40 MYA, and it was also duplicated in the douc langur, an Asian colobine, approximately 4 MYA.
Definition of colobine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan