- The policy or practice of acquiring full or partial political control over another country, occupying it with settlers, and exploiting it economically.More example sentences
- This period has been characterised by a resurgence of imperialist wars and outright colonialism.
- The positive case argues that, on the contrary, colonialism played an economically progressive role.
- This is the clearest manifestation of resurgent imperialism and colonialism on a world scale.
- More example sentences
- They're colonialists, operating in the wake of war and imperialist expansions.
- Instead of the promised prosperity and freedom, the region is at the mercy of the banks and financial institutions of the major imperialist powers and is run in an essentially colonialist manner.
- This was also the start of the period of colonialist expansion by Spain's Catholic monarchy.
Pronunciation: /-list/noun & adjective
More definitions of colonialismDefinition of colonialism in:
- The British & World English dictionary