- A style of American abstract painting prominent from the late 1940s to the 1960s that features large expanses of unmodulated color covering the greater part of the canvas. Barnett Newman and Mark Rothko were considered its chief exponents.More example sentences
- The gallery manages to represent a wide gamut of modern painting styles: colour-field painting, abstracts, figurative and representational styles are all here.
- All the familiar movements in art have their patch of ground: here is a room of Abstract Expressionist painting, there one of color-field painting.
- Geometric abstraction and colour-field painting were the height of art fashion in America in the 1960s.
More definitions of color-field paintingDefinition of color-field painting in:
- The British & World English dictionary