Definition of colposcope in English:
A surgical instrument used to examine the vagina and the cervix of the uterus.
- Magnification devices, such as a colposcope, allow the clinician to observe small lesions that may not otherwise be readily identified.
- Colposcopy involves an out-patient visit to a hospital, where a gynaecologist (doctor specialising in the female reproductive system) examines the cervix closely through a binocular microscope called a colposcope.
- Examination of the labia, vagina and cervix is greatly enhanced with the use of a colposcope.
- Example sentences
- Despite these difficulties with lesion identification, researchers have found several characteristic features that can help in locating glandular lesions during colposcopy.
- Previous studies have recommended more frequent cytologic sampling and prompt referral for colposcopy in HIV-positive women with abnormal cytology.
- Present guidelines recommend referral for colposcopy after detection of three borderline and two mild abnormalities.
1940s: from Greek kolpos 'womb, uterus' + -scope.
Definition of colposcope in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.