noun (plural same or combfishes)
A fish of the northeastern Pacific, with small rough scales and long spines in the comblike dorsal fin.
- Family Zaniolepididae and genus Zaniolepis: several species
More example sentences
- Dozens of demoiselles hovered, waiting for the combfish to remove their parasites while the goatfish below seemed oblivious to the free grooming services available.
- Yellowtail, seapike, silver sweep, pomfret, nannygais, bullseyes, dozens of moon wrasse, blue gropers and combfish follow you on your dive as you swim around this amazing site.
- An abundance of jewellery made of fine seeds and shells, pandanus weavings, painted turtle shells and combfish bones also fill the gallery.
Definition of combfish in:
- The British & World English dictionary