Definition of come a cropper in English:
1 informal Fall heavily.
- True, he has, at times, come a cropper over fences but he had no difficulty handling the jumping last year.
- To-date motorists unlucky enough to have come a cropper on the spillages have, at least, survived the experience.
- The day before he should have been in London to pick up an award for his stunning pile-up picture of cyclists coming a cropper in the Sydney Olympics.
1.1Suffer a defeat or disaster: the club’s challenge for the championship has come a cropper
More example sentences
- Having excelled at the Commonwealth championship, the women came a cropper in Canada, failing to win a single medal.
- Some apple and kiwfruit growers are facing big income drops this year as marketers have come a cropper in Europe and America.
- Then he will increase the bet and while lucky sometimes, he's come a cropper lately.
Definition of come a cropper in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan