1 informal Fall heavily.
- True, he has, at times, come a cropper over fences but he had no difficulty handling the jumping last year.
- To-date motorists unlucky enough to have come a cropper on the spillages have, at least, survived the experience.
- The day before he should have been in London to pick up an award for his stunning pile-up picture of cyclists coming a cropper in the Sydney Olympics.
1.1Suffer a defeat or disaster: the club’s challenge for the championship has come a cropper
More example sentences
- Having excelled at the Commonwealth championship, the women came a cropper in Canada, failing to win a single medal.
- Some apple and kiwfruit growers are facing big income drops this year as marketers have come a cropper in Europe and America.
- Then he will increase the bet and while lucky sometimes, he's come a cropper lately.
Definition of come a cropper in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.