Definition of comet in English:
- Some explanations for extinctions and evolution include strikes by asteroids or comets.
- We have just discussed some of the positive benefits of planetary impact by comets and asteroids.
- There are vast numbers of comets in the solar system, more than there are asteroids, but most lie out of sight beyond Pluto.
- Example sentences
- Ease of accessibility is itself a natural resource and opens up the economic possibility of efficient exportation of asteroidal or cometary natural resources to Earth and other exploration targets.
- The Hubble Space Telescope captured a picture of starlit asteroidal and cometary debris encircling the yellow dwarf star HD 107146.
- At a distance of one light-week, our solar system is lost in the Sun's glare; even farther out is a collection of cometary objects called the Oort Cloud, depicted as a sphere one light year across.
We get the word comet from Greek komētēs ‘long-haired’. The ancient Greeks gazed into the night sky and observed a comet's long tail. To their eyes it resembled streaming hair, hence their name for what they called ‘the long-haired star’.
Words that rhyme with cometgrommet, vomit
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.