Definition of comminuted in English:
1Reduced to minute particles or fragments.
- The results indicate a significant quantity of sand and silt in the samples consists of carbonate material, possibly comprising comminuted fossils.
- The ribbon could be used for specialty applications, but is most often comminuted into flake powder for subsequent degassing and consolidation.
- The carbonate component is represented by rounded and polished grains of comminuted molluscs.
1.1 Medicine (Of a fracture) producing multiple bone splinters.
- Beneath the muscles, and on the same side, I found an extensive comminuted fracture, the bone being broken into eight or nine different portions, and driven in upon the brain.
- If any instability is noted after reduction or the fracture is comminuted, the patient should be referred to an orthopedist.
- ‘Our club doctor Mark Waller has confirmed that he suffered a comminuted fracture of the tibia and fracture of the fibula in his left leg.’
early 17th century: past participle of comminute, from Latin comminut- 'broken into pieces', from the verb comminuere, from com- 'together' + minuere 'lessen'.
Definition of comminuted in:
- British & World English dictionary