Definition of committal in English:
1The action of sending a person to an institution, especially prison or a psychiatric hospital: his committal to prison [as modifier]: committal proceedings
More example sentences
- He then poses an obvious question - at a time of falling crime and declining committals to prison, why was a commitment made to expand the prison system on an unprecedented scale?
- This represents 85% of the total population committed to these prisons during the survey period and 6% of the roughly 11 000 committals to Irish prisons each year.
- In such proceedings, the prisoner may challenge the lawfulness of his committal to prison on any ground open to him.
2The burial of a corpse.
- Today hundreds of mourners were due to attend a joint funeral service at All Saints and Martyrs, Wood Street, in Langley, followed by committal at Blackley crematorium.
- The funeral service takes place at St Peter's ad Vincula Church, Coggeshall on Wednesday followed by committal at Colchester Crematorium
- A funeral service will be held at 11.30 am on Tuesday followed by committal at Howe Bridge Crematorium.
Definition of committal in:
- British & World English dictionary