Definition of commonage in English:
1chiefly British The right of pasturing animals on common land.
- Several of his neighbours with rights to commonage beside Michael's land also had turbines erected.
- In February 2001 the Minister for Finance made a declaration to 40 local farmers which acknowledged and established their commonage and grazing rights on the lands.
- In 2001 40 farmers established their commonage and grazing rights on the 426 acres of land.
1.1Land held in common.
- However, arable land, dwellings and residences were lost, access to commonage denied and development promised by the betterment never materialised.
- It has around 10 acres of land and a half share of 34 acres of commonage.
- This came to a head last week when local farmers were in confrontation with local police concerning a group of horses, which had been grazing on the mountain commonage.
Definition of commonage in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan