Definition of communalism in English:
1A principle of political organization based on federated communes.
- He deplored the rise of communalism and ethnic-based politics.
- In 1972, communalism was entrenched in the constitution, which makes Buddhism the state religion.
- The inability of any section of the ruling class to end this disastrous conflict stems from the fact that it can no more relinquish communalism than it can give up its wealth and social privileges.
1.1The principle or practice of living together and sharing possessions and responsibilities.
- Values and principles such as sharing, co-operation, altruism, communalism, nonviolence, nonconfrontation, consultation, consensus.
- She was attracted to communalism, practiced homeopathy and diet reform, critiqued unfair labor practices, and excoriated men for their treatment of women.
- His school practised secrecy and communalism making it hard to distinguish between the work of Pythagoras and that of his followers.
2Allegiance to one’s own ethnic group rather than to the wider society.
- He appealed to the people to frustrate the evil designs of those people who wanted to undermine national unity and integrity by spreading communalism in the society.
- They have failed to check the rising communalism in the society.
- All of them bear responsibility for the social disaster created by the protracted war, the destruction of basic democratic rights and the growth of ethnic hatred and communalism.
- Example sentences
- The fundamentalist ideology everywhere appears as collectivist and communalist - individual rights are seen as secondary to the interests of the community.
- But even these tough times need not be a cause of worry for every sensible citizen except the communalists.
- When Hindus speak out against such a situation, we are labeled communalists.
- Example sentences
- A third possibility is that social withdrawal buffers the individual from various negative social consequences in tightly knit social settings, such as may be characteristic of communalistic cultures.
- It has also begun to teach communalistic practices to the workers.
- Within a communalistic social structure there would be great pressure to conform.
Pronunciation: /kəˈmyo͞on(ə)ləst/ /ˈkämyənəlist/adjective& noun
Definition of communalism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.