Definition of communicant in English:
1 Christian Church A person who receives Holy Communion.
- Rochester was raised as a communicant of the Church of England.
- The procession was led through the village by this year's first communicants and children newly confirmed in the parish.
- Religion played an important role in Julia's life and she was a regular communicant at morning Mass in the parish church.
2 archaic A person who imparts information.
- Reader, see how yet technical communicants deserve free speech rights.
- In written communications these (non-verbal cues) are lacking and must be supplied if the communicant is not to be misunderstood.
Mid 16th century: from Latin communicant- 'sharing', from the verb communicare (see communicate).
Definition of communicant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.