Definition of communitarianism in English:
1A theory or system of social organization based on small self-governing communities.
- What these areas have in common is that they are communities of collectivism, where relatively strong combined social networks of trade unionism, labourism and communitarianism allow mobilizations in defence of left of centre values.
- He represents the challenge to pluralism both by rising communitarianism and by globalization of culture and capital.
- I am sure most of them would not support the communitarianism or the persuasive patriarchy or the muteness against slavery of early Christianity.
1.1An ideology that emphasizes the responsibility of the individual to the community and the social importance of the family unit.
- The step from I to we, from subject to community, from liberal individualism to postliberal communitarianism is therefore important, but not sufficient.
- Jane Addams's work can be seen as a basis for a feminist progressive communitarianism that critiques isolated individualism and understands personal identity as necessarily embedded in social and political community.
- It's the difference between individualism and communitarianism.
- Example sentences
- This means confronting the question of whether we view life and liberty, and the point and purpose of human existence, from an individual or a communitarian perspective.
- This solution reflects a communitarian bias in favor of local government over national regulatory bodies.
- And for that to work, I must adopt a communitarian attitude: my time is truly not my own.
Definition of communitarianism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan