- 1A statement that a situation is unsatisfactory or unacceptable: I intend to make an official complaint there were complaints that the building was an eyesoreMore example sentences
- She refused to say whether she has received complaints that firms are feasting at the city trough.
- I feel that because of the tremendous amount of complaints that they received last year they felt they had to do something.
- Some of the worst complaints that I received were about what was happening inside the interrogation rooms.
- 1.1A reason for dissatisfaction: I have no complaints about the hotelMore example sentences
- So it is natural for people to have an opportunity to speak out about their complaints and dissatisfactions.
- When I contacted the hotel about your complaint, he called you to apologize for the inconvenience and to ask what the hotel could do to make things right with you.
- It is interesting to note that few women have complaints about job-related problems.
- 1.2The expression of dissatisfaction: a letter of complaint he hasn’t any cause for complaintMore example sentences
- The month-long trial was scrapped after takings plunged by £26,000 in 13 days and students fired off almost 100 letters of complaint.
- A friend of mine in the US subsequently wrote in to the offices of Power 99 FM, the station that had suddenly been flooded with letters of complaint.
- The EMA said the Chase Village resident who wrote the letter of complaint was invited to contact the authority if he wanted further information or clarification.
- 1.3 Law The plaintiff’s reasons for proceeding in a civil action.More example sentences
- Was the investigation of the complaint against the plaintiff negligent?
- At the outset of his investigation he was made aware of a previous complaint about the plaintiff which did not result in any charges being laid.
- He went through the chronology of the complaints made by the plaintiffs.
- 2An illness or medical condition, especially a relatively minor one: she is receiving treatment for her skin complaintMore example sentences
- Many diseases or medical conditions have vertigo as an associated complaint, Gantz notes.
- Iwan said that his uncle had a number of medical complaints such as hepatitis and diabetes.
- Minerva has long believed that stress can trigger skin complaints, although some dermatologists disagree.
late Middle English: from Old French complainte, feminine past participle of complaindre 'to lament' (see complain).