- An eye consisting of an array of numerous small visual units, as found in insects and crustaceans. Contrasted with simple eye.More example sentences
- In addition to ocelli and compound eyes, some insects are quite sensitive to sounds, and their chemoreceptive abilities are astounding.
- Fiddler crabs, like their arthropod cousins the insects, have compound eyes.
- A close-up view of a male blue dasher dragonfly shows the many lenslets of the insect's compound eyes.
More definitions of compound eyeDefinition of compound eye in:
- The British & World English dictionary