Definition of concubinage in English:
1The practice of keeping a concubine.
- Satlow then discusses levirate marriage, polygyny and concubinage.
- The charge of concubinage was just as distasteful to Hawks as the perpetration of individual assaults because the suggestion of lewd conduct on the part of soldiers cast doubt on black women's morality.
- From one-quarter to one-fifth were family- and sex-related offenses, including adultery, incest, concubinage, and rape.
1.1The state of being a concubine.
- By contrast, the Chinese community in the U.S. during the 19th and early 20th centuries, also with a high sex ratio, kept women in something akin to concubinage.
- There are also horrific cases of girls as young as 12 or 13 being taken off to militia camps, used and abused and kept in forced concubinage…
- Forced concubinage, illiteracy, the imposition of a smothering garb, and public religious piety hiding debauchery in private - this is the description of life as it exists today in some countries.
Definition of concubinage in:
- British & World English dictionary